The Instructor's Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assignment 1: Intro to AI

+2
Honey Lynne Accion
blacksnake
6 posters

Go down

Assignment 1: Intro to AI Empty Assignment 1: Intro to AI

Post  blacksnake Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Read the article: Is There an Intelligent Agent in Your Future?
http://www.nature.com/nature/webmatters/agents/agents.html

Write a reflection with a minimum of 500 words.
blacksnake
blacksnake

http://projectblacksnake.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Intro to AI Empty Re: Assignment 1: Intro to AI

Post  blacksnake Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Based on the reading in this site, I found out that the article describes the key term agent which uses ontology to create a logical meaning of what the user needs for this agent. The trend of using internet today is widely increasing and could be double every 3-4 years and it’s a viral state right now. It contents and information found on the internet may help but it may destroy too. That’s why the intelligent agents are built on their web sites and even on search engines currently used right now.

The illustration shown on the article is based on the travel agency scenario in which the client will select the things that they needed to satisfy. But the agent in the said scenario has a work to do like booking flights, selecting destinations, client’s preferences and constraints, and even their time. Also the client must choose hotels or areas to accommodate and the expenses to be paid. These make the client easier in choosing their best spots and make transactions and processes more smoothly and effectively.

The intelligent agents now added to the rapid growth of World Wide Web in which it will take the complexities of fast-trending web technologies such as the complexity in process more information, the basis of an item to be released to the client and even other transactions are happened too. Some agents processed from their web sites are built a specific tasks or services that the site has to offer like registration agents in whom the user will collect such information and store it into a database.

Though the situation on the internet gets worse in terms of the system and technologies arise like the increasing bandwidth of the files, streaming, database searches, data transmission and secure use of information resources in which it requires more complex algorithms and even the information flow in order to achieve what the user wants. For example, there is an agent in parsing an e-mail from the clients and send it through an SMTP or POP3 server or the like. Some agents were dedicated to provide specific tasks and carry a load as many users as possible. Somewhat the competition between nations in the said technology still happens today.
In order to the become a good agent in computer systems, one must have to communicate with the user’s such as requesting a data to be transmitted and it should be both have the same language in order to understand and communicate well. Computers and humans have different languages but the agent who embedded in the computer system make both sides understands the language such as translator and compiler. Next this is to be able to act what the client needs. After requesting some information to the user, the agent must be selective based on the information requested from the user. Also, agents must do without supervision. Which means, the agent must not depend on the operator in dealing with the needs of the client or no intervention with the humans in working with the agents? And finally, the agent must use their experience in help you satisfy your needs.

Based on the characteristics of a good agent, the internet agent must be communicative (understanding the needs of the user), autonomous (act without supervision), capable (able to learn from user’s experience and use it), and adaptive (take options rather simply advice the user).

Hendler, J., 1999. Is There an Intelligent Agent in Your Future? Available at: http://www.nature.com/nature/webmatters/agents/agents.html (Accessed: 22 January 2011)

More details on:
http://projectblacksnake.blogspot.com/2011/01/reflections-on-intelligent-agents.html
blacksnake
blacksnake

http://projectblacksnake.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Honey Lynne Accion Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:17 pm

When I was asked with these words without even reading the article, I must say there is an intelligent agent in my future . With what experience nowadays, there are lots of them in this world. I think this happen because of the continuous growth and development of the society itself. By midst of observing and the things we experience everyday, it seems people are now thoroughly dependent with the capacity of this agent can do. Though the society became technical in the field, on the other side, humanities are becoming lazy. Of course, it still relies on the person itself if he or she will rely himself on this agent. We all know that people would always choose what is easier for them. But then again if you rather choose what makes your life easier, this time its never free. You might want to buy it on your own or pay for it. In other words, there is an expense or cost. Well, intelligent agent really means a lot since they help us in many things. I only referring to good agents. Right now, I think there are lots of agent being produce but not to the extent of helping people but on ways of having control or power over humanity.

Base on the article wrote by James Handler about "Is there an Intelligent Agent in your Future?", he said that what makes a good agent is when you and the agent able to communicate and understand each other. In other words, you and the agent must speak of the same language. Second, the agent must be able to act as well as suggest. With this kind of capability, the agent must not only be limited on acting as what he is tasked to do. The agent must also suggest if what is best suited for the service. In other words, the agent must give things that is best also to achieve customer's satisfaction. Third, an agent must do things without supervision. With this agent, it seems things are meant easier for the customer itself since the agent make all the transactions for them. Finally, the agent's experience is use to help people. If the agent have already gone with someone, the previous experience the agent has with a person is use to provide customer's needs or wants without even asking the said customer again.

Going with the ideal internet agent. It states that an agent must be communicative, capable, autonomous and adaptive. If I will to describe the word communicative, the first thing that comes out of my mind is understanding of both parties. To be particular, it seems that both sides must speak with the same language in order for them to communicate. One example is a computer to which before it will understand the words, the computer will first convert the words into a binary form in order for the machine to understand. An intelligent agent as what is said must be capable. In other words, it must be ale to take act without someone's controlling it. It means to say, still even continue its work or task. Lastly, an ideal agent must be adaptive in a sense that what he learn today is an application of tomorrow. In other words, what he learn became an applied education and can benefit many people.

Honey Lynne Accion

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Intro to AI Empty Intelligent Agents

Post  aqua_pepper214 Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm

While reading the article, it took me by surprised that without us (specifically people not into computer world) knowing about this intelligent agents, we would have gone days, months or years on not recognizing these agents. Since I've answered my number two (2) assignment, I was able to researched about different types of agents that would bridged the relation between human and information systems. We have different types of agents, and the key benefit of developing those is for human’s convenient. We have this agent that would cooperate to other agents in order to perform tasks for their owners, we have also the other agent that also emphasis in autonomy but this time learning what its owner want it to perform. Other agent is the one that interacts with foreign hosts and gather information on behalf of its owner. We have an agent that deals with managing, manipulating or collating information from many distributed sources. The other one is used to simulate many types of artificial worlds as well as natural phenomena. We have also an agent that refers to those whose constitution is a combination of two or more agent philosophies within a singular agent. And lastly an agent that integrated set-up of at least two or more agents which belong to two or more different agent classes.

So much about different types of agents, we have to define first what an agent is and why this agents was invented. Do we truly need this agents and what if this agents was not developed, what might be the outcome now? An agent is anything that can be viewed as perceiving its environment through sensors and acting upon that environment through effectors while a rational agent is one that does the right thing. Intelligent agents may also learn or use knowledge to achieve their goals. They may be very simple or very complex: a reflex machine such as a thermostat is an intelligent agent, as is a human being, as is a community of human beings working together towards a goal. Intelligent agents are also closely related to software agents (an autonomous software program that carries out tasks on behalf of users). IA systems should exhibit the following characteristics: accommodate new problem solving rules incrementally, adapt online and in real time, be able to analyze itself in terms of behavior, error and success, learn and improve through interaction with the environment, learn quickly from large amounts of data, have memory-based exemplar storage and retrieval capacities and have parameters to represent short and long term memory, age, forgetting, etc. latter information’s purchased of what an IA is, so with this exhibitions alone, I can truly say that IA will still be existing ahead. IA is somewhat like humans but they are software agent which means that what makes them move is because of the program inside and was invented for them from human behaviors and exhibitions. We truly need IA for convenient purposes, people nowadays want everything to be easy. Maybe this is also the reason why their are lot of company producing AI either good or bad as long as it can satisfy one or three things what human needs. I totally agree with Ms. Accion statements that lots of agents being produce but not to the extent of helping people but on ways of having control or power over humanity.
I love you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_agent
aqua_pepper214
aqua_pepper214

Back to top Go down

Post  deyong Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:40 pm

The article written by James Hendler entitled “Is There an Intelligent Agent in Your Future?” talks about what would be the good behaviors of an intelligent agent, comparing it to an actual travel agent by analogy and how it will be helpful to current state of web technologies in which because of increasing complexities caused by the accelerating and virtually uncontrolled growth of the World Wide Web.

According to the article, citing an analogy of a traveling agent and an intelligent agent in which how a traveling agent would be a great help to you whenever you decided to go for trip or vacation. Wherein the traveling agent provides you what you need and takes what you preferred. Where is the best place to go? How much you are willing to spend? Just like a traveling agent, what if they are intelligent agent that would help us in surfing the Internet in which you can also provide your needs and preferences. If you try to search some scientific keywords on the Web with the use of a search engine and check the tenth and the twentieth item found, you would probably notice that the items appeared provides you misinformation, false hits and misused terms that makes you think that the Web is a place of misinformation rather than a place of true informative information. That is the present scenario. Imagine after two to three years, Web is a hundred times its current size. The item might that you wanted may be number one thousandth or two thousandth, buried beneath the mass of false hits. Assistance of an intelligent agent in our travel over the Internet would lessen the hassle and consumption of time and would lead us to the right information that we actually wanted.

Creating a good intelligent agent requires some behaviors in order to perform its tasks well. First, it must be communicative. This means that both parties can speak and understand the same language in order for them to communicate with each other. Regarding the internet travel agent since there are complication of the present search engines, in order for it to be communicative it must involve ontology - formal definition of a body of knowledge which is used in building agents involves a structural component. Second, it must be capable. It means it must be able to take action in some sort of world. Unfortunately, the current state of the art is limited by the need to know much about the specifics of the internet sources the agent will interact with. Third, it must be autonomous. It means it can perform or do without direct manipulation. This characteristic is difficult programming task since it is dependent on features of the area in which a program is operating. Lastly, it must be adaptive. It means that it works based on the experiences, feedback and environmental factors. For example, the agent must learn to no longer visit a website that does already not exist. This can be achieved by grouping users based on some set of features, and then to assume similarity between them.

Intelligent agents that are communicative, capable, autonomous and adaptive would be a great help especially in finding factual information over the World Wide Web without wasting your time and effort.

deyong

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Intro to AI Empty My Reflection on the Reading

Post  blueacid Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Is There an Intelligent Agent in Your Future? That would be the first statement that would the readers would notice when reading the article. If I were to answer that question the answer would be surely yes. Facts and existence of intelligent agents prohibits me from answering "No". If you would notice that this article is dated way past 1999. That would be 12 years from now. It's still amazing and amusing that people from the 90's are already thinking of the possibility of the existence of Intelligent Agents. I could imagine that they could be called "crazy" and "dreaming" people at that time but who got the last laugh now.

I am not new to Intelligent Agents as it was already introduced to me last year because I have to study the concepts regarding Intelligent Agents for my reporting task. I have known that Intelligent Agents are popularly known as Cartoon and life-like characters that appears on a screen which assists users in various task. People today are exposed to Intelligent Agents without knowing it. Did you know that Mr. Clippy from Microsoft Word is considered an agent. Yes! You read it right the "Stupid" Clip that keeps on appearing on the side of your document is an Intelligent Agent. According to what I have read Agents could be classified as Synthetic characters, Animated agents, Emotional agents and Embodied conversational interface agents.

Could I Still Edit this post later?

blueacid

Back to top Go down

Assignment 1: Intro to AI Empty reflections

Post  lizyl123 Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:05 am

Time really flies by so fast. Whenever i heard about Agents and stuff, the first thing that encountered my mind is "technology." Talking about agents, they really gave us humans the convenience of the things we usually got problems to. Like for an example a mobile agents which also also known as traveling agents, these programs will shuttle their being, code and state, among resources. This often improves performance by moving the agents to where the data reside instead of moving the data to where the agents reside. The alternative typical operation involves a client-server model. In this case, the agent, in the role of the client, requests that the server transmit volumes of data back to the agent to be analyzed. Oftentimes the data must be returned by the agent to the server in a processed form. Significant bandwidth performance improvements can be achieved by running the agents within the same chassis as the data. Mobile agent frameworks are currently rare, however, due to the high level of trust required to accept a foreign agent onto one's data server. With advances in technologies for accountability and immunity, mobile agent systems are expected to become more popular.

Intelligent agents are task-oriented. Examples of intelligent agent tasks include data mining, profile management, privacy management, rules management, and application management. The number of applications benefiting from intelligent agent technology are virtually limited only by the imagination. One of the key goals is to enable the autonomous delivery of information for the benefit of various applications. For example, a location detection intelligent agent in a mobile device would inform application middle-ware once a user is in a certain location, perhaps engaging additional positioning and or applications. The exploitation of intelligent agent software is expected to rise over time as other enabling personalization technologies also grow in prominence.To this end, agents are being developed which can both present themselves as human-like creations as well as interpret human-generated communications such as continuous speech, gestures, and facial expressions. But what really makes an agent a good agent? The author, James Hendler stated the qualifications of being a good agent.
First, it must be able to communicate. Both you and your agent must speak the same language. Any agent that cannot understand where you want to go or what you want to do there will be of little help to you.
Second, the agent must be able to act as well as suggest. Third, an agent can do things without supervision. He also added about internet agent which caught my attention since im also an internet freak. he stated "A good internet agent needs these same capabilities. It must be communicative: able to understand your goals, preferences and constraints. It must be capable: able to take options rather than simply provide advice. It must be autonomous; able to act without the user being in control the whole time. And it should be adaptive; able to learn from experience about both its tasks and about its users preferences."

lizyl123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down