The Instructor's Portal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exercise 1

+55
Calvin John Dalino
Marlie E. Sisneros
arnulfotaghoy
florenzie_palma
Godofredo C. Pisngot Jr.
vinceilagan
Julie Ann R. Monteroso
irwin rod adesna
Allan S. Cabusora
Chad Festejo
tiffanycarabuena
irelene cosicol
Nesscel Ann Marie Calara
exzellrobelo
oberorancismichael
merafehangad
jezrelle larubes
cherilyn lagare
kevin.cris.ramos
rancisolanobero
Russel John L. Serrano
willypedroso
Genne Fernandez
Michael Anthony Jandayan
KatrinaAnirtak
axel ros e. campaña
Phoebe Angelie Gallardo
Dianne Jean Dumdum
Alaina Simbal
Mhel Sheryll Jala
dudzcomz
Allan Gregor Gepulla
Jovanne Nick L. Cacayan
jennifer conta
April Kaye Bestre Bigonte
Marybert V. Lee
ericpapasit
Ma. Monique Asuque
Gwapong_Tao_Edward_Baylon
juvilyn consejo
chamz_perez
boogie
Ruchan Alangilan
Sherwin_Elioreg
Cariza Joy Ensoy
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales
frozenfreak7
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman
jonalyn sanchez
Jevelyn C. Labor
abigail_duhaylungsod
Xaviery Dwight Noval
Mary Claire P. Avila
george101_2007
Admin
59 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Exercise 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Exercise 1

Post  Mhel Sheryll Jala Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 pm

On the comparisons given, we can see differences from their speed, error, style and strategy. to specify these differences, let's take a look on what these type of individual can do.

Arrow Touch typing

Typist keeps their eyes on the source copy at all times. Touch typing also involves the use of the home row method, where typists keep their wrists up, rather than resting them on a desk or keyboard as this can cause carpal tunnel syndrome. To avoid this, typists using this method should sit up tall leaning slightly forward from the waist, place their feet flat on the floor in front of them with one foot slightly in front of the other, keeping their elbows close to their sides with forearms slanted slightly upward to the keyboard, fingers should be curved slightly resting on the home row (asdfjkl;). Particularly, these type of individuals use keyboard shortcuts or hotkeys when typing on a computer. This allows them to edit their document without having to take their hands off the keyboard to use a mouse.

Arrow Hunt and Peck

The typist must find and press each key individually. Instead of relying on the memorized position of keys, the typist must find each key by sight. Use of this method may also prevent the typist from being able to see what has been typed without glancing away from the keys. Although good accuracy may be achieved, any typing errors that are made may not be noticed immediately, if at all. There is also the disadvantage that because fewer fingers are used, they are forced to move a much greater distance.

Arrow Expert and novice game players and users of a computer application

Skilled memory enables experts to rapidly encode, store, and retrieve information within the domain of their expertise and thereby circumvent the capacity limitations that typically constrain novice performance. Experts exploit prior knowledge to durably encode information needed to perform a familiar task successfully. Experts form more elaborate and accessible memory representations than novices. Experts develop memory mechanisms called retrieval structures to facilitate the retrieval of information stored in long term memory. These mechanisms operate in a fashion consistent with the meaningful encoding principle to provide cues that can later be regenerated to retrieve the stored information efficiently without a lengthy search.

Mhel Sheryll Jala
Mhel Sheryll Jala

Back to top Go down

Post  Alaina Simbal Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:34 pm

In a gaming scenario, I have observed that novice players are eager to explore the environment, tend to ask a lot of questions to fellow gamers, and are quite motivated to improve their gaming skills to keep up with the more experienced players. While expert players are more eager to find bugs, look for more effective strategies, and will either help or bully the novice and weak players.

Alaina Simbal

Back to top Go down

Exercise 1 - Page 2 Empty Exercise 1

Post  Dianne Jean Dumdum Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:00 pm

Considering time of work, endurance and quality, being a neophyte or a novice user is nothing compared to the excellence of being an expert. For me this fact follows the general standard of everything be it in a computer controller, as a user or even in our real life basis. Definitely, this requires to be observant and noticing the different factors that differ between the behaviors of the two.

Speaking about the qualities of being an expert, there is no question of does it excels that much. Of course, generally it has already the qualities needed so that the coordination of computer application and controller fit at its best. Its functionalities are in order as well as following the good standard of performing procedures and chunking of processes. It can be said that an expert user and an expert application runs and functions with the error free with best speed, best style and techniques.

Now talking about being novice or shall we say a new entrant, it is indeed a tough thing to compete with a world that has already established several numbers of experts. In becoming a beginner as a computer user and beginning a computer application, we have to consider the standards that the experts had already well developed. Even more, it is of our big chances, opportunity and challenge to surpass the qualities of the experts. Of course, we can say there is indeed a big difference of their behaviors may it be in speed, in cutting the procedures and in following the processes. It may sound that it is less effective and less functioning like the expert but it can also be said that it can go as far as the expert did.

Dianne Jean Dumdum

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoebe Angelie Gallardo Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Observe skilled and novice operators in a familiar domain: for example, touch and 'hunt-and-peck' typists, expert and novice game players, or expert and novice users of a computer application. What differences can you discern between their behaviors?

Answer: I think novice or beginner users are in the stage of exploring. They are still curious of how things work in such a thing like in the game or a computer applications. They tend to seek for assistance and are slow in doing such work. Whereas, the experts most often do things fast. As what I have observed, the hands of the experts when using mouse and keyboards are quick.

Phoebe Angelie Gallardo
Phoebe Angelie Gallardo

Back to top Go down

Post  axel ros e. campaña Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Well, for me, it is very recognizable whether the person that is in front of me is an expert or a novice to a specific activity or a thing. Like, the very best example is using or operating computer. Whenever I go inside an internet shop, before I was able to sit down and surf the net, sometimes, I have to wait first for a slot because all computers are occupied. In that example moment, I let my eyes roam onto the environment. All I can observe is, except for those displays in the surfer’s monitors, the behavior of each of them. When I could see a first-timers or those who are not used to computers, they behave, of course not the usual computer users do. They are very conscious on what they are doing, for they are not sure what they are really doing. I could say that because I was once like them before I was able to be called as “computer-addict”. Yes, “computer addict” is the term used to call for those individuals who ‘can’t live’ without computers. Like me, I was able to spend half of my day, even more, facing computers. That’s why I was not already considered to be a novice to those stuffs. People like us, I observed, use these things in manner, in a way that they are used to. They do it normally for the people like them but may not for those who don’t belong. Even young people these days could really recognize whether an individual is an expert to computer or not. And I think, all of those young people ranging from 7or 8 years old and above are very fluent in this kind of things. Maybe, the only people who are considered to be novice for this may belong to those unfortunate generations who didn’t reached the information age in their childhood or education.
axel ros e. campaña
axel ros e. campaña

Back to top Go down

Post  KatrinaAnirtak Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:45 pm

An expert and novice has a high degree of proficiency, skill, and knowledge in computer application. They see patterns in information. They can do anything that they are expert with. While the touch and hunt-and-peck technique is mostly by firs timers. They look at the keyboard first if they click the right letters. At this stage, they don't know the proper way on how to use it.

KatrinaAnirtak

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Anthony Jandayan Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:11 am

In any particular field, the disparity of expertise between one individual and another can really be evident on their behavior. Novice practitioners generally tend to be extra conscious on every action that they take. Their uneasiness is brought about by their fear of getting things wrong. With that saying, novice users also have the tendency to become overly inquisitive. Because they aren't that familiar with the work they are doing and they are afraid to make costly mistakes, they bombard someone whom they think might have appropriate helpful knowledge with every question they could ever imagine.

On the other hand, a certified skilled expert usually (as one might expect) is completely opposite with the novice ones. They go on with their work with confidence and a high degree of efficiency. True experts more often than not are as calm as a typhoon's eye when doing their work.

Michael Anthony Jandayan

Back to top Go down

Post  Genne Fernandez Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:16 am

Before I answer the question I will define first the touch and 'hunt-and-peck' typing. According to what I have researched, touch typing is that the typist keeps their eyes on the source copy at all times while 'hunt-and-peck' typing is that the typist must find and press each key individually. Some novice was not able to do touch typing because they are not familiar of the placing of the alphabets on the keyboard and they are also hesitant and most of them do hunt-and-peck typing. Skilled typists were able to do touch typing but there are some points that they do hunt-and-peck .Let say expert and novice player played the same game. The beginner does trial and error thinking because they are not familiar of the game and they do have less experience than the experts. The expert gamers are very sure on what move or attack they want to do because they are more experienced and very familiar of the game. In using application, beginners sometimes are confuse on what to do, where to click or they just mouse hover the button first to see what that button for is before clicking it which is very opposite to the experts.

Genne Fernandez

Back to top Go down

Post  willypedroso Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:02 am

Observe skilled and novice operators in a familiar domain, for example touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typists, expert and novice game players, or expert and novice users of a computer application. What differences can you discern between their behaviors?

The aim was to see who can touch type and who has to search & peck.

touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typists
touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’- typists had more practise in the exercise in 1.1, they had gotten used to where the letters are on the keyboard and were able to touch type

expert and novice game players
expert and novice game players- were able to touch type most the time but there was a point where the group had to search & peck and was hesitant

expert and novice users of a computer application
expert and novice users of a computer application- they could touch type but were searching and peaking more than group touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typists and group expert and novice game players
willypedroso
willypedroso

Back to top Go down

Post  Russel John L. Serrano Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:35 am

Quote:
"There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure."

- Colin Powell

Touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist, for me touch typist simply being bold and confident of having that kind of level in maturity of their knowledge and at the same time their skills for having a lot of experiences that made them unique to others. ‘Hunt-and-peak’ typist other called it “two-fingered typing”, it seems like it is sabotable that touch typist a lot more differences compared to the hunt-peak-peak typist for me the assets that they have as a hunt-and-peak typist is that the quote: “SLOWLY BUT SURELY”, I can say they are slow compared to the other one because hunt-and-peak typist simply a two-fingered typing so logically we can imagine how they are differ to each other.

Expert and Novice game players. Based to my personal experiences, Expert game players easily adjust his/her behavior, relax, self-control and independent while Novice game players easily get angry, hard to adjust and dependent.

Expert and Novice users of a computer application. Expert users of a computer application simply has a discipline and organize while Novice users of a computer application dependent.

It doesn’t matter if you are Expert or Novice, what matters most? Is your Heart, the willingness, eagerness, hunger and teachable heart.

Russel John L. Serrano

Back to top Go down

Post  rancisolanobero Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:40 am

A hunt and peck typist keeps their eyes on the source copy at all times.

Becoming a touch typist, people must learn the abstracted kinetic feel of all the pertinent key sequences. These are essentially finger flight patterns executed without any instrument support and no landing lights, without any differentiation, effectively learning to use them is hard. Touch typists also use keyboard shortcuts on a computer. This allows them to edit their document without having to take their hands off the keyboard to use a mouse.
Touch-typing is better than hunt-and-peck, and the point of good ergonomics should be to help people to be more productive as well as less stressed.

Experts compare to beginners, obviously it is very advantage those expert or proficient individuals. They can do the assigned task as fast or even as effective and efficient than those novice individuals. In some aspects touch typing is as good and even effective as hunt and peck typing. In some areas, more advantage for those touch typist, they can just, comfortably, lay their wrists on the platform and just continually encodes the data by just only scanning the data, and continually encodes the data without searching for those character, symbols, letters on a keyboard, because they well trained and even follow those basic principle in typing. Touch typing, I guess also came from the basic principle or idea in typing and thats hunt and peck typing.

I personally believe, that everything is a process, that every practice you do, certainly it would really lead you to positive and perfect result.
rancisolanobero
rancisolanobero

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin.cris.ramos Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:10 am

Being a skilled full user of computer or an expert is much differs to a novice one. Novice is a beginner learning an activity which has a little skill acquire. Some of the characteristics of experts are the acquisition of developing new skill, practice or way of doing things. Just like an expert gamer, typist or user of computer they are more effective in their work doesn’t confuse of what pattern he is going to perform. Usually expert user looks ahead on the screen and not any more down on the keys provided in keyboards. Oppositely, novice frequently commit mistakes in typing, same with a novice gamer. In terms of speed they are slower than the expert.

kevin.cris.ramos

Back to top Go down

Post  cherilyn lagare Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:27 am

Several differences can be perceived between experts and novice typist, gamers and users of computer application. Expert is more knowledgeable and more productivity than the novice ones. Expert user of computer such as typist, gamers and users only uses almost ten fingers in typing and looks straight ahead in the screen. However, novice or beginner uses only few fingers and look several times down the keyboards and even keeps their eyes on the source copy at all times. In terms of accuracy and efficiency of output, the experts are exceeding in their works than the novice users.

People living in a city are usually experts in terms of skills and proficiency using a computer. However there are certain instances that they are using this ability in a wrong intentions particularly being an intruder or an attacker.
cherilyn lagare
cherilyn lagare

Back to top Go down

Post  jezrelle larubes Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:21 am

This activity of interaction involves observation, its observing the domains of the users on which they are familiar of. This also includes the skills of the users in terms of computer analysis and usage. To understand more what is touch and ‘hunt-and-peck typists, we need to identify its characteristics. Touch Typist are the one who are experts in using computers or any devices in terms of typing. They used to look straightforwardly only to the source code and always uses short-keys in using functions such as Control S, V,C,X , etc. While ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist are the one who uses the keyboard with two hands and literally pressing the keys individually after one another.

Based from the observations I have, the behavior of the touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist differ rightly from one another. Touch typist can type safe and sound, with right speed while ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist types so slow that will cause delays on their work. The same as the gamers, pro-gamers are really good than anti-gamers. Pro-gamers do actually knew everything about the game unlike the newly users. So, the ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist works hesitantly and confuse than the experts one.

jezrelle larubes

Back to top Go down

Post  jezrelle larubes Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:24 am

This activity of interaction involves observation, its observing the domains of the users on which they are familiar of. This also includes the skills of the users in terms of computer analysis and usage. To understand more what is touch and ‘hunt-and-peck typists, we need to identify its characteristics. Touch Typist are the one who are experts in using computers or any devices in terms of typing. They used to look straightforwardly only to the source code and always uses short-keys in using functions such as Control S, V,C,X , etc. While ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist are the one who uses the keyboard with two hands and literally pressing the keys individually after one another.

Based from the observations I have, the behavior of the touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist differ rightly from one another. Touch typist can type safe and sound, with right speed while ‘hunt-and-peck’ types so slow that will cause delays on their work. The same as the gamers, pro-gamers are really good than anti-gamers. Pro-gamers do actually knew everything about the game unlike the newly users. So, the ‘hunt-and-peck’ typist works hesitantly and confuse than the experts one.

jezrelle larubes

Back to top Go down

Post  merafehangad Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:37 am

 In this observation, we must be considerate to other people who are not familiar in using a computer because of their skill which is not capable enough to manipulate a computer. The difference between those experts in using a computer and to those novices is the speed, style and strategy of using the device. Speed because we can easily explore faster the computer than to them.
We all know that there still people who didn't know how to use a computer specially to those people who are illiterate enough to the new technology today and by that we have a big advantage to them.

merafehangad

Back to top Go down

Post  oberorancismichael Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:43 am

1. Observe skilled and novice operators in a familiar domain: for example, touch and 'hunt-and-peck' typists, expert and novice game players, or expert and novice users of a computer application. What differences can you discern between their behaviors?

 In this skilled mentioned above, I have notice their difference in their way of using the computers. For example touch and hunt-and-peck typist, their difference in their behavior is their speed in typing, how they managing it and other things. In the two other situations I can also say that its difference is also speed, their way of managing it, strategy, and others.

oberorancismichael

Back to top Go down

Post  exzellrobelo Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:49 am

Base on my observation of these two distinct operators, they have a big difference regarding their skills and procedures of using a certain computer application. To prove this observation, let us take as an example those “dota” players. Those novice layers or beginners are incapable to apply the techniques or to manipulate the computer well while those experts are very capable to do the opposite thing that novice players cannot. In terms of speed, obviously, experts are more alert than novice. Therefore, the two parties has a different skill levels.
exzellrobelo
exzellrobelo

Back to top Go down

Exercise 1 - Page 2 Empty Esercise 1

Post  Nesscel Ann Marie Calara Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Touch and ‘hunt-and-peck’ typists
Touch typists are those people who have already gotten used to typing and can manipulate the keyboard in an effortless manner. Usually when typing, these people have their eyes fixed upon the monitor and is barely glancing on the keyboard.
Hunt-and-peck typists on the other hand are usually beginners. Everyone passes through this stage. These people have difficulty in typing as to they still have to look for the particular key the like to use when typing. Their eyes are set on the keyboard.

Expert and novice game players
Expert game players—this is where I categorize most of my friends, especially the boys, especially those who skip classes and spend their allowances and tuition on DoTa and the likes. These people do not have trouble locating hotkeys, shortcuts, following rules, tactics and playing the game itself.
Novice game players are again beginners. These players are those who are still exploring and learning how to play a certain game.
For example, I consider myself as an expert in playing Counter Strike since I basically grew up playing it and a novice player on DoTa.

Expert and novice users of a computer application
Expert users of a computer application is how we consider computer experts such as programmers, software developers and a lot of other people whose jobs involve computer manipulation. We may also consider people that are computer literate as long as they are able to navigate a certain computer application.
Novices are those who have little knowledge on using computer applications. I could site my mother as an example, since she is still learning to use the internet, whenever she is using the computer she calls are attention every now and then and asks us on what to do next.

Nesscel Ann Marie Calara

Back to top Go down

Post  irelene cosicol Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:58 pm

Studies and researches showed that experts or skilled operators from any field differ from novice operators when it comes to the operating time. The steps of the novice group were more scattered than the expert group. This is because novice has lower percentage of thinking and strategy than the experts. In computer games, expert players used more analogical thinking while novice players tended to use trial-and-error thinking. The difference can also be shown between a touch typist and hunt-and-peck typist. Touch typists do typing fast and with ease since they only look at the source document and not at the keyboard when typing unlike those hunt-and-peck typists. Indeed, in any domain, experts can do things fast, reliable, accurate than novice, however as time pass novices can also become experts since the experts are once called novices.

irelene cosicol

Back to top Go down

Post  tiffanycarabuena Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:13 pm

In reality those who are skilled can do their task way better than the novice and most probably their outputs will be different too. For example, if I am an expert in the field of games and my opponent is a novice then there will be no chance for that person to win. In the internet I have read that a person will only be called as an expert if he or she is really good in the field he/she is in. So basically there is a big difference between the expert and novice in terms of work time, the output, how he/she does things, and in the scope of knowledge. What i just said were also my observation.

tiffanycarabuena

Back to top Go down

Post  Chad Festejo Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:52 pm

The student should think about skill acquisition, procedure. Do the differences suggest different skill levels?

Chad Festejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Chad Festejo Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Last edited by Chad Festejo on Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Chad Festejo

Back to top Go down

Post  Allan S. Cabusora Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:25 pm

According to the internet, the difference between skilled and less skilled problem solving is in the way that different problems are grouped. Novices tend to group problems according to superficial characteristics such as the objects or features common to both. Experts, on the other hand, demonstrate a deeper understanding of the problems and group them according to underlying conceptual similarities, which may not be at all obvious from the problem descriptions.

Allan S. Cabusora

Back to top Go down

Exercise 1 - Page 2 Empty Exer 1

Post  irwin rod adesna Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Touch typists are those people who have already gotten used to typing and can manipulate the keyboard in an effortless manner. Usually when typing, these people have their eyes fixed upon the monitor and is barely glancing on the keyboard.Hunt-and-peck typists on the other hand are usually beginners. Everyone passes through this stage. These people have difficulty in typing as to they still have to look for the particular key the like to use when typing. Their eyes are set on the keyboard.

Expert game players—this is where I categorize myself. These people do not have trouble locating hotkeys, shortcuts, following rules, tactics and playing the game itself. Novice game players are again beginners. These players are those who are still exploring and learning how to play a certain game. F

Expert users of a computer application is how we consider computer experts such as programmers, software developers and a lot of other people whose jobs involve computer manipulation. We may also consider people that are computer literate as long as they are able to navigate a certain computer application. Novices are those who have little knowledge on using computer applications. I could site my mother as an example, since she is still learning to use the internet, whenever she is using the computer she calls are attention every now and then and asks us on what to do next.

irwin rod adesna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next